1.5 day course
Half day theory, full day practical
20 % DISCOUNT FOR PADDLE SA MEMBERS
Holders of the Flatwater Skills Award have demonstrated the technical skills and knowledge to competently paddle a kayak and/or canoe independently during a trip, as part of a group of peers, on flat, sheltered, undemanding water. This Award, or equivalent skills and knowledge, is a pre-requisite to becoming a Flatwater Paddling Supervisor
- Demonstrate the ability to control a craft in moderate conditions on flat, sheltered water.
- Launch and land efficiently
- Paddle the craft efficiently in moderate winds:
- Forward, backwards, sideways and turning
- Show efficient use of low supports
- Capsize and swim craft ashore
- Competently participate in simple rescues as rescue and rescuer
- Competently accept a tow.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and navigate a 3-hour flatwater paddle:
- Store, operate and maintain appropriate safety equipment
- Select appropriate equipment and clothing with consideration of sun sense and hypothermia
- Interpret weather for a flatwater environment.
Produce a verifiable log showing at least six trips of a minimum of three hours duration.